I saw this press release today and had to share it. I hope someone I know will enter. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to showcase green building technologies while supporting the SPCA of Tompkins County!
1st Annual GREEN DOGHOUSE CHALLENGE
to benefit Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County
and the SPCA of Tompkins County
The annual Ithaca Area Green Buildings Open House is one of the premier events of its kind in the country, showcasing two dozen homes and businesses that feature both cutting-edge and traditional, time-honored green building methods, materials, and technologies.
In conjunction with the SPCA of Tompkins County, the first animal shelter in the nation to receive LEED Silver certification, we’re bringing the green to our four-legged friends, with a challenge to build the ‘greenest’ doghouse in Tompkins County. We invite you to design and build a doghouse using principles of sustainable building. Doghouses will be on display as part of the 2014 Ithaca-Area Green Buildings Open House Weekend (Saturday & Sunday, October 4 & 5, 2014) and will be auctioned as a joint fundraiser for Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County and the SPCA of Tompkins County at the opening party at the SPCA of Tompkins County on Friday, October 3rd.
September 12th – application due and team materials packet last pick-up date
October 1st – doghouses to be delivered to SPCA of Tompkins County
October 3rd – GBOH weekend opening party, with silent auction of the doghouses
October 17th – all doghouses must be removed from SPCA property
- Your house should have outdoor functionality. This means it should have a roof and should be waterproof.
- You may use any durable materials, whether recycled, reused, or purchased. It is highly recommended that you use materials that cannot be easily destroyed by dogs or Central New York weather.
- While there are no dimensional restrictions, your doghouse must be movable. The doghouse must be able to be transported to the SPCA and the buyer must be able to transport the doghouse to his/her home.
- Please consider using one or more of the following ‘green’ features in your doghouse:
o Blown cellulose insulation
o Local materials
o Reclaimed or salvaged materials
o Living roof
o Non-toxic finishes
o Passive Solar
o Rainwater catchment system
Guidelines for Entry
- This competition is open to all individuals, students, businesses, and other groups.
- The non-refundable entry fee is $25. The first 6 entries received will be reimbursed with a $25 gift certificate to Agway TrueValue for use on the building of your doghouse.
- Enter online here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KvAmPuE9YyaPjnCyhPEhBjpTnTf4CPlvbUWwzHnZcEc/viewform . The application and entry fee are due by 4 PM on September 12th, 2014. Gift certificates should be picked up by that date.
- All entries must be complete and dropped off at the SPCA of Tompkins County on Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 between the hours of 12 PM and 6 PM. Entries will be displayed during the Green Building Open House Tour on October 3rd-5th at the SPCA. Once dropped off, all entries become the property of the SPCA of Tompkins County until they are auctioned off to buyers. The SPCA of Tompkins County reserves the right to reject any participants’ entry.
If you have any questions, please contact Mila Fournier or Guillermo Metz of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County at 607-272-2292 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com